If you ever find yourself lost in a jungle, there are a few skills, tools and strategies which can help you survive until you are rescued or find your way out. In all honesty you probably won’t ever become lost in a jungle, although as a child watching adventure films, I felt this was a distinct likelihood. Of course I also thought quicksand would be more of an everyday danger than it’s turned out to be.
Here are ten of the most important things to consider:
- Stay calm: Panic can lead to rash decisions and dangerous mistakes, so it’s important to stay calm and think clearly. Take deep breaths and try to remain focused and rational.
- Signal for help: If you think you can be seen or heard by rescuers, try to signal for help using bright colors, mirrors, or loud noises. Make sure to keep yourself visible and audible, and try to stay in one place as much as possible.
- Create a plan and stick to it: Develop a plan for getting out of the jungle and stick to it. Try to retrace your steps, follow a river downstream, or look for other signs of civilization. Remember to move slowly and carefully, and avoid taking unnecessary risks.
- Preemptively Prepare: If you’re traveling through or planning on hiking in a jungle, tell someone your plans in advance. This includes where you plan on going and wan you expect to be back.
- Navigation: Knowing how to use a map and compass, or even just being able to identify the direction of the sun, can help you figure out where you are and where you need to go.
- Shelter: Being able to build a shelter or at least find natural shelter can help you stay warm and dry, and protect you from the elements.
- Water: Finding and purifying water is essential for survival, as you can only go a few days without it. Knowing how to find water sources and how to purify them using tools or natural methods can save your life.
- Food: Depending on where you are, you may be able to find food in the jungle, but it’s not always easy. Knowing how to hunt, fish, or forage for edible plants can help you sustain yourself until you are rescued.
- First aid: Injuries and illnesses are common in the jungle, so knowing how to provide basic first aid can be a lifesaver. Being able to clean and dress wounds, prevent infections, and treat common ailments like dehydration or snake bites can make a huge difference.
- Fire-making skills: Fire can provide warmth, light, and a way to cook food in the jungle. Bring a fire starter with you, and learn how to build a fire using natural materials like dry leaves and twigs.
Overall, the key to surviving in the jungle is to be prepared, stay calm, and use your skills and resources wisely. With the right knowledge and equipment, you can overcome any challenges that the jungle throws your way… except for maybe snakes. If you encounter snakes, just panic!