Whether you travel for business or pleasure or both, there is much to be gained by embracing new cultures, trying on new ideals and throwing caution to the wind when it comes to your palate, your preconceptions, your belief of what the world is. There is deep value in truly setting out to grow (or change) your mind, open your heart and broaden your horizons. Great men and women through the ages have done this, and through their stories, art and often quotes, we are all the richer for it.
Here are our ten favorite travel quotes, please, add yours!
1. “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.”
– Jack Kerouac
2. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
― Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky
3. “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”
― Ernest Hemingway
4. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.”
― Anaïs Nin, The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 7: 1966-1974
5. “Every hundred feet the world changes”
― Roberto Bolaño, 2666
6. “Don’t let your luggage define your travels, each life unravels differently.”
― Shane Koyczan
8. “Always stay sharp on railways and cruise ships for transit has a way of making everything clear.”
― Anna Godbersen, Envy
9. “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake.
The great affair is to move.”
― Robert Louis Stevenson
10. “It is not down in any map; true places never are.”
― Herman Melville