Hyatt Hotels Corporation just announced ambitious plans to grow its brand portfolio in Europe. Hyatt’s European journey includes adding more than 20 executed managed and franchised deals for new hotels in some of the most desirable destinations in the world. These properties are expected to join 63 Hyatt-branded hotels across nine distinct brands in 22 European countries.
Andaz, Alila, and Hyatt Centric – Hyatt’s lifestyle brands – and The Unbound Collection by Hyatt – one of Hyatt’s independent collection brands – make up half of Hyatt’s executed deals in Europe. This growth is fueled by a growing desire from travelers, World of Hyatt members, and owners for hotels that offer unique, differentiated experiences that foster genuine connections with people and cultures.
“Hyatt is in the process of transforming the hotel landscape in Europe with planned openings for new Hyatt-branded hotels in some of the most sought-after leisure destinations in the world,” said Peter Norman, senior vice president real estate and development EAME/SWA, Hyatt. “Supported by strong brand recognition and demand for the high-quality experiences for which Hyatt is known, we look forward to welcoming guests and World of Hyatt members in these key European destinations. Further, with half of Hyatt’s executed pipeline in Europe consisting of franchise agreements, we are thrilled to collaborate with a number of new, as well as existing, owners to bring these exciting projects to fruition.”
Norman continued, “Because of today’s unprecedented business climate, owners of independent hotels are understandably looking for a reputable brand with strong distribution channels for added support, which makes hotel conversions a big growth driver for Hyatt through our independent collection brands, including The Unbound Collection by Hyatt. At Hyatt, we have always taken a flexible and thoughtful approach to crafting deals that benefit both parties, and now more than ever, the success of that approach is evident. Because Hyatt-branded hotels have not oversaturated many European markets, we continue to intentionally grow our brands in places that matter most to our guests.”
In the United Kingdom, which remains a priority growth market, the introduction of the first Park Hyatt hotel in London’s redeveloped Nine Elms district will further bolster Hyatt’s brand presence.
Hyatt plans to nearly double its brand growth in the U.K. in the next few years, and this growth is complemented by strong regional demand in France and Spain – through the development of both Hyatt’s full and select service brands – as well as entry into new markets with the first Hyatt-branded properties in Stockholm, Helsinki, Malta and Cyprus.
So far this year, nine new Hyatt properties have opened in Europe, including Hyatt Regency Sofia, the first Hyatt hotel in Bulgaria; Hyatt Regency Malta; Hyatt Place Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport and Hyatt House Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport, Hyatt’s first dual-branded select service development in Europe giving travelers the benefits of both brands under one roof; and most recently, the 144-room Hotell Reisen in Stockholm, Sweden marking the first hotel in Scandinavia under The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand.
Notable newly executed deals include plans for:
- The 203-room Park Hyatt London River Thames in London, one of Europe’s top places to visit, which will be the first Park Hyatt hotel in the U.K.
- The introduction of the Hyatt Centric brand to the U.K. with Hyatt Centric Cambridge
- Hyatt’s foray into Northern Europe with two new hotels within The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand, including the224-room Grand Hansa Hotel in Helsinki, Finland – regarded by travelers as one of the best big city destinations in the world
- A Hyatt Centric hotel in Reykjavik, which is noted as one of the trendiest European travel spots, will be the first Hyatt-branded hotel in Iceland
- The former Byblos Hotel in Mijas, Spain will be part of The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand and will mark a significant expansion of Hyatt’s brand footprint in the country’s most visited region, Andalusia
- The first Andaz-branded hotel in Portugal with Andaz Lisbon, and the first Hyatt-branded hotel in the Czech Republic with Andaz Prague
- The first Alila-branded resort in Europe with Alila La Gruyère in Switzerland
- The Hyatt Place and Hyatt House select service brands remain a strategic priority with eight additional properties planned across Western Europe through 2023
This announcement signals significant intentional growth plans for Hyatt that will increase its brand footprint in Europe by more than 30 percent in nine new countries and grow further in seven existing markets.
New hotel openings, rebrands, and executed managed and franchise deals in Europe within Hyatt’s independent collection and timeless and boundless portfolios include:
The Unbound Collection by Hyatt
The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand is a portfolio of independent, premium hotel properties, ranging from historic urban gems to contemporary trend-setters and boutique properties to one-of-a-kind resorts.
- The Wellem, Düsseldorf, Germany (102 guestrooms), rebranded from Hyatt House Düsseldorf/ Andreas Quarter in early November 2020
- Hotell Reisen, Stockholm, Sweden (144 guestrooms), opened on December 1, 2020
- Grand Hansa Hotel, Helsinki, Finland (224 guestrooms), under development
- The former Byblos Hotel, Spain (205 guestrooms), under development
Park Hyatt hotels provide discerning, global travelers with a refined home-away-from-home. Guests of Park Hyatt hotels receive quietly confident and personalized service in an enriching environment. Located in several of the world’s premier destinations, each Park Hyatt hotel is custom designed to combine sophistication with understated luxury.
- Park Hyatt London River Thames in London’s Nine Elms development, U.K. (203 guestrooms), under development
Grand Hyatt hotels celebrate the iconic in small details and magnificent moments. Drawing inspiration from each destination, Grand Hyatt hotels provide superior service and signature experiences within a backdrop of dramatic architecture, world-class restaurants, luxury spas, and spectacular meeting and event spaces.
- Grand Hyatt Limassol, Cyprus (300 guestrooms), under development
Hyatt Regency hotels are intuitively designed to make travel free from stress in more than 30 countries.
- Hyatt Regency Sofia, Bulgaria (183 guestrooms), opened September 2020
- Hyatt Regency Malta (153 guestrooms), opened October 2020
- Hyatt Regency Tirana, Albania (151 rooms), under development
- Hyatt Regency Lisbon, Portugal (220 guestrooms), under development
- Hyatt Regency Rostov on Don, Russia (187 guestrooms), under development
- Hyatt Regency Edinburgh Marina, Scotland (187 guestrooms, 98 residences), under development
- Hyatt Regency Zurich Airport The Circle, Switzerland (255 guestrooms), under development
- Hyatt Regency Izmir Istinye Park, Turkey (161 guestrooms), under development
- Hyatt Regency London Olympia, U.K. (196 guestrooms), under development
Hyatt House hotels are designed to welcome guests as extended stay residents.
- Hyatt House Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (121 guestrooms), opened in October 2020
- Hyatt House Frankfurt Goetheplatz, Germany (181 guestrooms), under development
Hyatt Place hotels offer a modern, comfortable and seamless experience, combining style and innovation to create a casual hotel environment for today’s multi-tasking traveler.
- Hyatt Place Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (309 guestrooms), opened in October 2020
- Hyatt Place Cannes, France (152 guestrooms), under development
- Hyatt Place Rouen, France (85 guestrooms), under development
- Hyatt Place Krakow, Poland (216 guestrooms), under development
- Hyatt Place Zurich Airport The Circle, Switzerland (300 guestrooms), under development
- Hyatt Place London City East, U.K. (280 guestrooms), under development
Global in scale while local in perspective, the Andaz brand of luxury lifestyle hotels weave the sights, sounds, and tastes of each property’s surroundings for a distinctively local experience that stimulate the senses.
- Andaz Prague, Czech Republic (176 guestrooms), under development
- Andaz Lisbon, Portugal (232 guestrooms), under development
The Alila brand features luxury hotels in unique locations, distinguished by innovative eco-design and a strong commitment to sustainable tourism. Alila means “surprise” in Sanskrit, which suitably describes the refreshing character of Alila hotels.
- Alila La Gruyère, Switzerland (85 guestrooms, 27 residences), under development
Hyatt Centric is a brand of full-service lifestyle hotels located in prime destinations around the world and is one of Hyatt’s fastest growing lifestyle brand.
- Hyatt Centric Reykjavik, Iceland (172 guestrooms), under development
- Hyatt Centric Cambridge, U.K. (150 guestrooms), under development
“The 2018 acquisition of Two Roads Hospitality established Hyatt’s compelling position in the lifestyle segment and further reinforced the strength of its existing lifestyle brands, Andaz and Hyatt Centric,” said Felicity Black-Roberts, vice president acquisitions and development Europe, Hyatt. “Also, the planned opening of Hyatt’s first Alila resort in Switzerland marks an important step as we anticipate adding more resorts to Hyatt’s lifestyle portfolio in Europe.”