Cookie Monster’s dream-come-true he’s taking China and Beijing’s sweet tooths are in for a real treat this coming weekend. An event designed for insatiable cookie addicts and have a bottomless pit for homemade, stuff-your-face-silly cookies, we’re all about that cookie.
But I’m not just talking about any cookie. I’m talking 20 different types of creative cookies, each one made from scratch by 20 brilliant bakers based in Beijing. There will be more than your fair share of cookies to munch your way through, it really doesn’t get much better than this!
From chewy and gooey to salty cookies, vegan cookies and crafty variations of your classic Chocolate Chip cookies, we are very proud to announce the top contestants who have made the cut and will be competing in this year’s Cookie Monster Charity Bake-Off!
“The concept is simple: We will be hosting a Charity Bake Off to indulge Beijing’s most indulgent cookie monsters by showcasing some of Beijing’s Best Bakers and supporting a local community charity, all at the same time!” – LDS & The Hutong
Rally up fellow sweet tooths and cookie lovers and head over to The Hutong this Sunday and if you can manage to make your way through all the various cookie samples, you can vote for your top 3 favorites!
Based on the creative and mouth-watering cookie recipes we have been receiving, these top bakers will be showcasing some serious baking talent, two of which will be crowned our triumphant Cookie Monster Winners – the People’s Choice Winner + Judge’s Choice Winner!
2016′s Cookie Monster Bake-Off Contestants:
- Becca Ruskin, Rachel Friedman & Sydney Hess: A Salty Surprise
- Zhaoyi: Baymax Cookies
- Ivy Wang: Scottish Oaty Raisin Cookies
- Audrey Tao: Vegan P’n’J Cookie with Coconut Jelly
- Peter VanderMeulen (Ahava Bistro & Cafe): Buzzerscotch cookies
- Abigail Arterburn & Laurey Lou: “巧”克力 Cookie
- Jamie Kung of Sugar & Spice: “Queen of the Cookie Jar”- White Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie with Salted Caramel Drizzle
- Julie Bonanno: Sweet Julie’s Praline Peanut Cookies
- Malou Claessens: Matcha Almond Cookies
- Kelvin Goh: Dark Chocolate-Orange Cookies
- Grace Yang and Rachel Sun from EAST hotel: White Chocolate Raspberry Macadamia Nut Cookie
- Charlotte Arneson: “Treat Yourself” Chocolate Cookie Truffles
- Matthew Edmondston: Yin & Yang Shortbread Cookies
- Anete Elken: Rye Chocolate Cookie with Cranberries
- Kyla McIntyre: Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Melissa McKenna of Juice by Melissa: Almond butter chocolate chip bars
- Gretchen Johnson & Shirley Fan: Salted Hazelnut Cookies with Chocolate
- Greta Bradford: Spring Sugar Cookies
- Britt Langford of Sweet Tart Bakery: Snickerdoodles
Sneak Peek Cookie Photos by a Handful of Contestants:
Snickerdoodle Cookies by Britt Langford of Sweet Tart Bakery
Yin & Yang Shortbread Cookies by Matthew Edmondston
Peter VanderMeulen (Ahava Bistro & Cafe)’s Buzzerscotch cookies
Audrey Tao’s Vegan P’n’J Cookie with Coconut Jelly
Charlotte Arneson’s “Treat Yourself” Chocolate Cookie Truffles
Rye Chocolate Cookies with Cranberries by Anete Elken
Zhaoyi’s Baymax Cookies
Juice by Melissa’s Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
Don’t worry, since one bite certainly won’t be enough, all of our cookie contestants are also encouraged to sell their own cookies (each bag of 5 cookies for RMB 20, of which RMB 5 will be donated to our selected charity, Beijing Cultural Heritage Protection Center (CHP). Please come and support our incredibly talented list of Creative Cookie Monster Contenders who will be slaving away in the kitchen to make sure our cookie monster attendees will all be happily satisfied!
For all those cookie monsters who just want to come check out who made our score of cookies and munch through 20 different fantastic cookies, the entrance price is RMB 150 (at the door), RMB 100 for Pre-Sale Tickets (scan QR code below) + members and RMB 50 for children under 12 (which includes sample bites of all 20 cookies + 1 drink, courtesy of The Hutong).
LDS’ Cookie Hook-Up!!
Scan this QR Code for a Limited Time Only Pre-Sale Ticket Offer! (RMB 100!)
Cookie Monster Event Details:
- Date: Sunday, March 20th, 2016
- Time: 2PM-5PM
- Price: RMB 100 Pre-Sale (see QR Code above!) + for Members, RMB 150 at the door (includes sample bites of all 20 cookies + 1 hot drink) and RMB 50 for children 12 and under
- Location: The Hutong
- Address: #1 Jiu Dao Wan Zhong Xiang Hutong 东城区九道弯中巷1号
- Charity to Receive Proceeds: Beijing Cultural Heritage Protection Center (CHP)
Kristen Lum has an accomplished background in PR, communications and events in China. Born and raised in California, Kristen has been based in Beijing since 2006 and is founder of the lifestyle blog called LumDimSum, covering mostly restaurant news and reviews alongside upcoming events around town that relate to Beijing’s muti-faceted, quickly-developing creative industries like art, music, film, health and fitness, fashion, nightlife, charity events, and travel tips.